If you would have asked me a few years ago, whether I was going to migrate my servers to Linux? I would have laughed and not even consider it. Since 2004 I have hosted all my own servers on the FreeBSD OS. I had one CentOS machine, because OpenXchange on FreeBSD was not the best experience. But now, in 2019, all my servers are running one of the Linux OS’es.
A while ago, my dear colleague Mattijs came with an interesting option in BIND. Response zones. One can create custom “zones” and enforce a policy on that. I never worked with it before, so I had no clue at all what to expect from it. Mattijs told me how to configure it (see below for an example) and offered to slave his RPZ policy-domains. All of a sudden I was no longer getting a lot of ADS/SPAM and other things.
If you go looking for a usable webmail application, then you might end up with Open-Xchange (OX for short). Some larger ISP’s are using OX as their webmail application for customers. It has a multitude of options available, using multiple email accounts, caldav/carddav included (not externally (yet?)) etc. There are commercial options available for these ISP’s, but also for smaller resellers etc. But, there is also the community edition available. Which is the installation you can run for free on your machine(s).
For many System Administrators that have public facing Mailservers, it is an ongoing battle.. SPAM. Since there is money to make, it will never ever go away, but we can try to mitigate this. Introduction on my usage of anti-spam products: For many moons I have used the SpamAssassin product in various forms, simply as a client to check every email on delivery, as daemon where multiple servers check one instance, as part of MailScanner where a single (replicated) database was responsible for storing all bits and pieces combined with local additional rules.
So. It had been a while before I had proper time to look into the Dutch translation efforts again. History Due to various reasons not discussed here, I was not able to see to a proper translation. Rene did a lot of work (thank you for that Rene!). The PO system First of all, i am going to discuss a bit about the PO system, which is a gettext way of doing translations.
So I have this situation, where I couldn’t get my kobo reader to connect to the internet and fetch updates and/or use kobo+ for example. I started debugging with Ubiquiti ages ago to see where the problem lies. In the meantime I was unable to continue with this, but I had an interesting thought yesterday. I sniffed the traffic from the hardware (mac) address of the ereader and noticed that it tried to resolve: www.
After ‘relaunching’ my Blog I have been occupied with other activities. So I just took a little time to say “Happy 2017” to all of you. Perhaps there will be more entries this upcoming year.. 🙂
It took a gentle while to get the blog back up and running. I first considered cleaning out the original blog, but that would have taken a lot of time and effort. So instead I just vaporised the old blog (well, not really, but the interwebs can no longer access it), and decided to rebuild the website. Please feel welcome here, if I feel up for it, I might convert a few older blog entries from the old blog to this new one.
Back in 2003 I wrote the first bits of the site that you are visiting now. As an homage to that time I added a screenshot from the internet archive for future reference.